Zambia - Market OverviewZambia - Market Overview
- Zambia is a politically stable, multi-party democracy, rich in natural resources.
- The economy enjoys liberalized prices on most items, a stable foreign exchange rates, and no currency controls
- Zambia’s main export partner is Switzerland (45 percent of total exports, based on Swiss ownership of one of the country’s copper mines). Others include: China (20 percent), South Africa, United Kingdom, Zimbabwe and DR Congo. Zambia’s main import partner is South Africa followed by DR Congo and China.
- In 2016, Zambia’s total imports from the United States were $81.2 million, compared to $84.2 million in 2015. These consisted primarily of machinery, rubber, and vehicles.
- In 2016, about $46.6 million in Zambian exports went to the United States, compared to $47.1.7 million in 2015. These consisted almost entirely of copper, cobalt, precious stones (primarily emeralds), and cotton.
Zambia Trade Development and Promotion