eCommerce DefinitionseCommerce Definitions
Return to the eCommerce Export Resource Center
What is eCommerce?
- eCommerce is a sales channel that crosses all industries that sell or promote brand awareness online.
- eCommerce as a sales channel is part of a businesses’ digital strategy.
What is "Cross-Border eCommerce"?Cross-border ecommerce is international ecommerce. It is literally "selling across a border using ecommerce", as opposed to the general concept of “ecommerce”.
Business to business (B2B) ecommerce transactions are made between businesses, where a supplier sells in bulk
B2C eCommerceBusiness to consumer (B2C) is where a business sells its product directly to a customer, either directly from a company website or an online marketplace
What is an eCommerce Marketplace?
- A third-party website that hosts vendor pages as online storefronts
- Transactions are processed by the marketplace service provider/operator
What is an eCommerce Platform?
- A series of software technologies that are integrated into a business's website
- Allows a business to solicit products or services from their website to complete the sales cycle
What types of eCommerce Platforms are there?
- Transactional- conducts full end-to-end transactions via the website; enables customers to search for, order, and pay for products
- Informational- generates sales by promoting corporate/product awareness
- Online Marketplace/Auction- sales platforms that bring buyers and sellers together to facilitate transactions
What is a Digital Strategy?A digital strategy addresses the basic needs of a business required to succeed in cross-border ecommerce sales channels. Look around for reputable and helpful resources to help you understand abstract concepts such as internationalization/globalization from a business perspective as you work towards developing your digital strategy.
The eCommerce Transaction Process defines the ecommerce platform type, however your eCommerce Sales Channel Mix may contain all 3 types of ecommerce platforms mentioned above.
What eCommerce Regulations and Taxes are there?
- U.S. Export Regulations still apply to ecommerce transactions
- eCommerce Taxes & Regulations are not legally distinct from traditional point-of-sale transactions
eCommerce Market Research