Uzbekistan - Agricultural SectorsUzbekistan - Agricultural Sectors
Agriculture is an important sector of Uzbekistan’s economy, accounting for approximately 17.3 percent of GDP and employing about 26 percent of the labor force. Cotton and grain are the country’s principal crops. Exports of agricultural products contributed approximately 9.3 percent to Uzbekistan’s external earnings in 2018. The government hopes to increase agricultural productivity through the adoption of new technologies, and to further develop processing and packaging capabilities to add value to domestic and export products. The Government plans to develop the country’s textile sector, improve the value added chain and hence process more of its own raw cotton into intermediary or consumer goods for export.
To improve the country’s food security, the Government of Uzbekistan has emphasized wheat production and supported poultry and animal farming over the past few years. Moreover, the profitability of fresh fruit and vegetables has increased in recent years and local farmers have aggressive plans for developing export markets for these products.
|Total Local Production||16,334||23,800||24,634||26,000|
|Imports from the US||1.1||3.5||2.3||2.5|
|Total Market Size*||16,067||23,720||24,896||26,500|
** Exchange Rates = Uzbek sums per $1
Units: $ millions
Source: The State Statistics committee of Uzbekistan. Data for 2019 was estimated by Post using company project implementation progress reports. Imports from the U.S. data is from the U.S. census bureau.
Leading Sub-SectorsFor specific opportunities, businesses should contact companies involved in the Uzbekistan’s agricultural industry.
- Cattle breeding and poultry farming;
- Seeds and seedlings (for example, berries, fruits, nuts, vegetables, melons);
- Seeds and seedlings of ornamental plants (flowers);
- Technical solutions for microclimate control in greenhouses;
- Mills for the production of feed and feed additives for poultry;
- Packaging of fresh vegetables and fruits.
Web ResourcesU.S. companies and individuals interested in learning more about upcoming procurements and export opportunities are encouraged to visit the following websites:
- Ministry of Agriculture of Uzbekistan:
- Ministry of Investments and Foreign Trade of Uzbekistan:
- Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Uzbekistan:
- Government Portal of the Republic of Uzbekistan:
- ITE Uzbekistan Exhibition Company:
- U.S. Embassy in Uzbekistan:
Uzbekistan Agribusiness Trade Development and Promotion