Includes import documentation and other requirements for both the U.S. exporter and foreign importer.
Last Published: 9/20/2017
For imports, Customs (SUNAT) requires a Customs Merchandise Declaration (DAM – in Spanish), a commercial invoice, an airway bill or bill of lading, a packing list, and an insurance letter. If the product is imported from other Andean Community members (Colombia, Ecuador and Bolivia), a certificate of origin is required to qualify for tariff preferences. Several imports are subject to antidumping and countervailing duties. The list of products and countries is available at To avoid these duties, a certificate of origin is required for products coming from other countries, causing U.S. firms to experience delays clearing products through Customs.
A food sanitary registry is required for processed food products (issued by DIGESA’s Food and Environmental Health Bureau or a Sanitary Certificate for animal, plants, or their by-products issued by SENASA).
Goods can be brought into the country and kept in a bonded warehouse without paying import duties for up to twelve months. During that period, the importer can pay the duties on the goods kept in the warehouse and clear customs, or re-export the goods. This can be done for the entire shipment, or it can be broken down according to the importer’s needs.
Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) regulations are drafted, implemented and enforced by SENASA. U.S. exporters are encouraged to request from SENASA an updated list of SPS requirements through the importer before shipping products to Peru.
For exports, a Customs Merchandise Declaration (DAM (a commercial invoice and an airway bill)) or a bill of lading is required. Export licenses are required for cultural relics and antiques. Additionally, end-user certificates are required for the export or re-export of items on the international munitions list, the international chemical/biological warfare (CBW) list and the missile technology control regime (MTCR) list. Such licenses cover a marginal portion of total Peruvian exports (less than 1%).
For food and beverages, the importer must submit a sworn application to DIGESA accompanied by a Certificate of Free Trade and Use issued by the health authority of the country of origin, the future label, and the registration receipt. If the certificate is not available, the importer should present a document issued by the Peruvian Consulate in the country of origin. The sworn application includes the contact information of the importer’s company and the manufacturer, taxpayer’s identification (RUC), the list of products requested and for each product its content, the results of physical-chemical and microbiological analysis, lot code system, expiration date, packaging material and storage conditions.

Prepared by our U.S. Embassies abroad. With its network of 108 offices across the United States and in more than 75 countries, the U.S. Commercial Service of the U.S. Department of Commerce utilizes its global presence and international marketing expertise to help U.S. companies sell their products and services worldwide. Locate the U.S. Commercial Service trade specialist in the U.S. nearest you by visiting

Peru Import Regulations Trade Development and Promotion