Italy - Market OpportunitiesItaly - Market Opportunities
- U.S. firms enjoy opportunities in sectors where new regulations or programs (often imposed or initiated at the EU level) are creating demand; new products/services with little or no domestic competition; and where U.S. products offer clear technological, design, or price advantages.
- Best prospects for U.S. exports to Italy include: Advanced Manufacturing, Airport and Ground Support Equipment, Automotive Components, Biotechnology, Cosmetics and Toiletries, Cybersecurity, Medical Devices and Technologies, Pet Products, Safety and Security Equipment, Smart Grid Technologies and Travel and Tourism.
- Key U.S. exports to Italy include pharmaceutical products, industrial machinery and machine tools, electrical appliances, automobiles and auto parts, food and wine, and travel/tourism services.
- Pharmaceuticals ranks first among manufacturing sectors for U.S. investments. In 2015 U.S. biopharmaceutical companies had an annual turnover of 6 billion euro (20% of the total industry).
- The agricultural sector makes up a significant portion of U.S.-Italy trade. In 2018, U.S. agricultural, forest and fish exports to Italy were $1.4 billion and U.S. imports from Italy were $5 billion. Being a net agricultural importer, most raw materials and ingredients are imported, as Italy’s economic strength is in the processing and the manufacturing of goods, primarily in small and medium-sized family-owned firms. Italy exports mainly consumer products to the United States, while the United States exports mostly bulk commodities to Italy.
- Italy hosts major trade shows that attract buyers from throughout Europe and beyond. The Commercial Service offers on-site support for U.S. exporters at most of the major international shows, or by request. Key trade shows taking place in Italy in 2018-2019 include European Utility Week, EICMA and Showcase USA-Italy.
- The U.S. Department of Commerce actively promotes investment in the United States through our SelectUSA program. In Italy we have extensively promoted opportunities to invest in the U.S. to Italian businesses, trade associations and multipliers. The Italian delegation to the Select USA Investment Summit in Washington DC has consistently been among the largest worldwide.
Italy Trade Development and Promotion