Includes license requirements for key professional services that are open to U.S. service providers.
Last Published: 9/6/2019

Professionals with only U.S. certifications have limited ability to practice or work in Japan.

Legal Services
To be licensed to practice Japanese law in Japan, professionals must complete an undergraduate law education in Japan or attend a Japanese law school, pass the Japanese bar examination, and complete one-year training at the Legal Training and Research Institute of Japan’s Supreme Court. However, qualified international attorneys may become “Foreign Law Business Attorneys” (“Gaikokuho-Jimu-Bengoshi”) upon application to and approval by the Minister of Justice and registration with the Japan Federation of Bar Associations (JFBA)

Requirements to receive a Gaikokuho-Jimu-Bengoshi license include the need to have practiced at least two years in the home jurisdiction and limitations to practice the law of that jurisdiction. Receipt of all approvals can last up to six months or longer. As of June 2018, there are 407 registered “Foreign Law Business Attorneys.”

The highest-grade accounting license in Japan is the Certified Public Accountant. To become a Japanese CPA, one must pass the CPA examination, and have a minimum two years of practical accounting or auditing experience. Experience can be completed before or after the CPA exam. The CPA Examination is conducted only in Japanese. After passing the exam, one must complete a three-year professional accountancy education program provided by the Japan Foundation for Accounting Education and Learning (JFAEL). Those who completed the program are qualified to take the final assessments conducted by the Japanese Institute of Certified Public Accountants (JICPA) and the successful candidates are eligible to register with the JICPA.

Certified Public Tax Accountant
Japan also has a “Certified Public Tax Accountant” certification. Becoming a Certified Public Tax Accountant requires passing the Certified Public Tax Accountant examination or being already registered as an Attorney at Law or a Certified Public Accountant. To practice, a Certified Public Tax Accountant must also be registered with the Japan Federation of Certified Public Tax Accountants Association.

There are no special qualifications required to become a business, management or human resources consultant in Japan. Some consultants are often accredited as Certified Public or Tax Accounts.

Prepared by our U.S. Embassies abroad. With its network of 108 offices across the United States and in more than 75 countries, the U.S. Commercial Service of the U.S. Department of Commerce utilizes its global presence and international marketing expertise to help U.S. companies sell their products and services worldwide. Locate the U.S. Commercial Service trade specialist in the U.S. nearest you by visiting

More Information

Japan Market Access Trade Development and Promotion