Local Time in Turkey: Print

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are listed some general questions often asked by U.S. and Turkish firms. If your question is not addressed here, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Specific questions regarding Turkish standards and CE marking can be found in our CE Mark FAQ.

For U.S. firms:

For Turkish firms:

I am an American company and want to export to Turkey. Where do I start?

A trade specialist located at the nearest Export Assistant Center can assist you in obtaining market information and applying for Commerce's export promotion programs and services.

Back to top

How do I find information on patents and trademarks for U.S. products?

The United States Trademark and Patent Office provides a wide range of information on patents and trademarks including how to apply for a trademark or patent, what a patent or trademark does, international guarantees on patents and trademarks, and much more.

Back to top

Where can I find market information on a specific industry?

Summaries of market research reports on specific industry sectors prepared by the Commercial Service are available in our Market Research Library. The Commercial Service in Turkey also offers customized market research to fit your company’s specific needs. Find additional information in our Country Commercial Guide.

Back to top

How can I identify a prospective Turkish buyer or sales agent?

The U.S. Commercial Service provides a service that can help new to market companies identify a prospective Turkish buyer or sales agent. Learn more about the International Partner Search service.

Back to top

How do I find the right Turkish partner / distributor for my product?

The Commercial Service in Turkey offers a variety of services and tools to help U.S. exporters find partners. Please refer to our Exporting to Turkey page for a list of our services, or contact one of our specialists directly.

Back to top

How can I check the background of a Turkish company?

Undertaking a due diligence investigation prior to engaging in a trade transaction can minimize the risk of encountering commercial disputes. The U.S. Commercial Service provides a service to conduct a preliminary background check and refers your company to other service providers in Turkey. Learn more about the International Company Profile service.

Back to top

How do I set up a representative office in Turkey?

A representative office may act as a liaison with Turkish contacts, implement contracts signed outside Turkey by the home office, and undertake market research. Such offices may not engage in trade, receive fees for service, sign contracts or directly generate income. Contact one of our Commercial Service offices in Turkey to learn about the registration process.

Back to top

Where can I find assistance for exporting agricultural products, processed foods and wood products to Turkey?

The U.S. Department of Agriculture, Foreign Agricultural Trade Office at the Embassy assists U.S. exporters of agricultural products. Please visit their webpage or contact them directly:

Office of the Agricultural Counselor
Foreign Agriculture Service
110 Atatürk Bulvarı
Kavaklıdere 06100, Ankara, Turkey
Tel: (90-312) 455 5555 ext. 2406
Fax: (90-312) 467-0056
Email: agankara@fas.usda.gov

Back to topN

How can the U.S. Government help me resolve a commercial dispute?

The role of the U.S. government in resolving commercial disputes is to assist companies navigate the Turkish legal system, provide a list of local attorneys, and share basic information on potentially applicable trade agreements and Turkish business practices. The U.S. government is not authorized to provide legal advice. American companies that have disputes with private Turkish firms often request U.S. Government intervention with Turkish authorities within Turkey's legal system.

Back to top

How can the U.S. Government assist in resolving trade barriers or unfair trade practices I've encountered in Turkey?

The Trade Compliance Center (TCC) is the U.S. Government's focal point for monitoring foreign compliance with trade agreements to see that U.S. firms and workers get the maximum benefits from these agreements. The TCC is your one-stop shop for getting U.S. government assistance in resolving the trade barriers or unfair trade practices you encounter in foreign markets.

Back to top

Where can I find information about travel warnings?

The Department of State’s International Travel website has information regarding travel warnings as well as the services provided by the American Citizen Services (ACS) at overseas embassies and consulates.

Back to top

I am a Turkish company and would like to export to the United States. Can you provide assistance?

We can’t, but others can. The U.S. Foreign Commercial Service's mission is to promote export from the United States and assist American importers as well as Turkish companies who would like to import from America. If you would like to export to the U.S., you may contact the offices listed below for assistance:

Turkish Prime Ministry for Foreign Trade (IGEME)
Mithatpasa Caddesi, No: 60
Yenisehir 06420, Ankara, Turkey
Tel: (0312) 417-2223
Fax: (0312) 417-2233
Email: igeme@igeme.org.tr
Website: http://www.igeme.org.tr

Turkish-American Chamber of Commerce and Industry
E-mail: info@turkishuschamber.org
Website: http://www.turkishuschamber.org

Turkish Consulate General Office of the Commercial Attaché
821 United Nations Plaza, 4th Floor
New York, N.Y. 10017, U.S.A.
Tel: (0212) 687-1530
Fax: (0212) 687-2078
Email: dtnew@turkishtrade.org

Turkish Embassy Office of the Commercial Counselor
2525 Massachusetts Avenue N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20008, U.S.A.
Tel : +1 (202) 612-6780
Fax : +1 (202) 238-0629
Email: dtwas@erols.com

Back to top

Where can I find U.S. customs information for shipping goods to the U.S.?

We do not deal with customs regulations in this office, but you can contact the U.S. Bureau of Customs and Border Protection for more information.

Back to top

I am interested in promoting a product in the United States. Is there a way to locate regional representation in various states?

Yes. The Chambers of Commerce in the United States have established a website that links to almost every local chamber of commerce in the country. These provide incredible amounts of detailed information and contacts for precise areas.

Back to top

How can I establish a new company in the U.S.?

Please note that each state has its own sets of law and regulations in terms of setting up a new office, so it will be best for you to visit the websites of each respective state. You can find a state’s site by going to http://www.state.XX.us in which XX is the two-letter abbreviation for the state (e.g. California is CA, New York is NY).

Back to top

I plan on visiting the United States in the near future. Do I need a visa? If so, what type of visa do I need?

Yes, you will need a visa. General visa information can be found on the Department of State website. Visa information for temporary visits to the U.S. (e.g. for business-related purposes) can be found on the Non-Immigrant Visas (NIV) page.

Back to top

I'm interested in developing business opportunities with small-sized American companies. Where can I find such information?

You can find a list of U.S. companies looking for trading partners by visiting our Commercial News USA homepage.

Back to top