2006 Export Achievement Awards
- Helsel Lumber Mill Inc. received the Export Achievement Award from Congressman Bill Shuster (PA-09) in January of 2006. Located in Blue Knob, PA., Helsel Lumber Mill produces high quality Appalachian hardwoods in the heart of Pennsylvania's hardwood region. Fortunately for Helsel, Vice President of Marketing and Sales, Mr. Jim Burger, has a heart of his own- one for international sales! To recognize these efforts, Helsel hosted Congressman Bill Shuster in January 2006, who presented the company with the U.S. Commercial Service's Export Achievement Award. Using the combined counseling of the U.S. Commercial Service, the Southern Alleghenies Planning & Development Commission and the Saint Vincent Center for Global Competitiveness, Helsel not only signed a representative in China, but realized an explosion of hardwood lumber sales into the burgeoning China market. As a result, Helsel has added 12 additional full time employees and continues to enjoy record-breaking international sales to China and around the globe!
- The Southwestern Pennsylvania Commission’s Export Development Program was awarded the Export Achievement Award by Congressman Mike Doyle (PA-14) in May of 2006. The Southwestern Pennsylvania Commission’s Export Development Program promotes exporting and provides export assistance to companies in Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Washington, and Westmoreland counties. By promoting exports through sponsoring local outreach events, educational seminars, and trade missions, the Southwestern Pennsylvania Commission’s Export Development Program helps to strengthen America’s economy and create jobs.
- U.S. Congressman Phil English (PA-03) Throughout his tenure, Congressman English has been an advocate in supporting U.S. companies in their export efforts but particularly so for his local small to medium-sized enterprises (SME). In 2003, Congressman English created a “Federal Business Development” seminar that brought in Federal agencies ranging from the U.S. Commercial Service, OPIC, ExIm Bank, SBA, Department of Defense, GSA, and many others to make his constituent companies aware of the government resources that are in place to help grow their business. The first year the event attracted 60 attendees and each year the event has grown in focus and size, when last year it was renamed, “Congressman English’s Business Development Conference and Expo and reached a capacity crowd of 150. Whether it is by jointly educating constituents, promoting trade events organized by the U.S. Commercial Service, Congressman English’s own event, or cooperatively pulling together expertise to answer constituent’s questions, the U.S Commercial Service and Congressman English partnership plays a vital role in North West Pennsylvania’s economic success. The resource that Congressman English makes accessible to his Northwest SMEs enables them to realize their full potential in international markets, and to benefit economically from the transactions.
- Fed Ex received the Export Achievement Award from Congressman Tim Murphy (PA-18) for promoting American exports and improving the U.S. competitive advantage by expanding global e-commerce through a partnership with the U.S. Commercial Service in Pittsburgh. Based out of their corporate office in Coraopolis, Pennsylvania, Fed Ex has helped bolster demand for American jobs and grow the economy.
- The Southern Alleghenies Development & Planning Commission (SAPDC) received the Export Achievement Award in January of 2006 from Congressman Bill Shuster (PA-09). SAPDC has provided international export consulting since 1985, through its International Trade Program. In addition to export consulting, SAPDC also serves as the regional coordinator for the Southern Alleghenies Export Network, one of ten regional hubs for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s economic development program for international business. SAPDC assists a diverse group of clients from the Information Technology sector, the Defense sector, the Mining and Heavy Equipment sectors, to the Hard Wood Lumber sector. Along with the U.S. Commercial Service, the SAPDC is working to increase the export portfolio of American jobs and grow the economy.