Local Time: Print

Travel Information and Advisory

Entry Requirements

Entry requirements for U.S. citizens visiting Mexico have changed significantly over the past few years. As of March 10, 2010, all U.S. citizens (including children) must present a valid passport, book or card, for travel beyond the “border zone” into the interior of Mexico.

For the latest entry requirements, visit the Mexican National Institute of Migration’s (INM’s) websitethe Secretary of Tourism’s Manual on tourist entry, or contact the Embassy of Mexico at 1911 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20006, telephone (202) 736-1600, or any Mexican consulate in the United States.

Photo: segob.gob.mx

Business Travel: Upon arrival in Mexico, business travelers must complete and submit form FMM authorizing the conduct of business, but not employment, for a 30-day period. Travelers entering Mexico for purposes other than tourism or business, or for stays of longer than 180 days, require a visa and must carry a valid U.S. passport. U.S. citizens planning to work or live in Mexico should apply for the appropriate Mexican visa prior to traveling from either the Mexican Embassy in Washington, DC, or at the nearest Mexican consulate in the United States.

Additional information about Mexico’s entry requirements can be found on: http://mexico.usembassy.gov/eng/eacs_sheet.html


Travel Advisory

Travelers to Mexico should review the current travel advisory and warden messages posted by the U.S. State Department, to stay abreast of the current security situation and to be aware of particular locations where additional caution should be taken while travelling.

The State Department’s current travel advisory for Mexico can be found on: http://mexico.usembassy.gov/travel-advisory.html