Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker Business Development Mission to Japan and South Korea
October 19-23, 2014
PARTICIPATION REQUIREMENTS & SELECTION CRITERIA
An applicant must sign and submit a completed application and supplemental application materials, including adequate information on the company’s products and/or services, primary market objectives, and goals for participation. If an incomplete application form is submitted or the information and material submitted does not demonstrate how the applicant satisfies the participation criteria, the Department of Commerce may reject the application, request additional information, or take the lack of information into account when evaluating the application.
Each applicant must also:
- Certify that the products and services it seeks to export through the mission are either produced in the United States, or, if not, marketed under the name of a U.S. firm and have at least 51% U.S. content. In cases where the U.S. content does not exceed 50%, especially where the applicant intends to pursue investment and major project opportunities, the following factors, may be considered in determining whether the applicant’s participation in the Business Development Mission is in the U.S. national interest:
o U.S. materials and equipment content;
o U.S. labor content;
o Contribution to the U.S. technology base, including conduct of research and development in the U.S.;
o Repatriation of profits to the U.S. economy;
o Potential for follow-on business that would benefit the U.S. economy;
- Certify that the export of the products and services that it wishes to export through the mission would be in compliance with U.S. export controls and regulations;
- Certify that it has identified to the Department of Commerce for its evaluation any business pending before the Department of Commerce that may present the appearance of a conflict of interest;
- Certify that it has identified any pending litigation (including any administrative proceedings) to which it is a party that involves the Department of Commerce; and
- Sign and submit an agreement that it and its affiliates (1) have not and will not engage in the bribery of foreign officials in connection with a company’s/participant’s involvement in this mission, and (2) maintain and enforce a policy that prohibits the bribery of foreign officials.
Selection Criteria for Participation: Selection will be based on the following criteria, listed in decreasing order of importance:
- Suitability of a company’s products or services to the target markets and the likelihood of a participating company’s increased exports or business interests in the target markets as a result of this mission;
- Consistency of company's products or services with the scope and desired outcome of the mission’s goals;
- Rank/seniority of the designated company representative;
- Current or pending major project participation; and
- Demonstrated export experience in the target markets and/or other foreign markets.
Diversity of entities participating in the mission with respect to type, size, location, sector or subsector may also be considered during the review process..
Referrals from political organizations and any information, including on the application, containing references to political contributions or other partisan political activities will be excluded from the application and will not be considered during the selection process. The sender will be notified of these exclusions.