Local Time: Print

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Q: Where can I find market information on a specific industry?

A: Summaries of market research reports prepared on specific industry sectors by the U.S. Commercial Service are available at our Market Research Library. The U.S. Commercial Service in France also offers customized market research to specifically fit your special need.

Q: Where can I find information on other European markets?

A: Check out our separate all-Europe website.  Market information prepared by other European Commercial Service offices are also available on www.Export.gov in our Market Research Library. You may view a complete list of our offices worldwide.

Q: Where can I find information pertaining to trade with the European Union in general?

A:  The U.S. Mission to the European Union can provide helpful information about EU standards and regulations, how to access markets in key sectors, find procurement opportunities and much more.  For more detailed information, please refer to U.S. Mission to the European Union or visit http://europa.eu/index_en.htm.

Q:  Where can I find customs information for shipping goods to the United States?

A:  We do not deal with customs regulations for shipments to the United States. Please see U.S. Bureau of Customs and Border Protection for more information.

Q:  I am a French interested in establishing a company in the United States. Where can I get information?

A: Most U.S. states have an economic development office somewhere in Europe. Please visit the website of the Council of American States in Europe for more information.

Q: Internship Program

1. What kind of work will I be doing?
Interns do a variety of tasks, from recruiting American companies for a trade show to writing market research reports. The actual work that an intern will do will depend on when the intern volunteers.

2. I am a citizen of Country X. Given my citizenship, am I eligible for the internship?
To be eligible for the internship, a student must either be:

a. An American citizen.
b. An international student who is enrolled in a school in France.

3. I am graduating this summer and would like to intern in the fall after I've graduated. Can I do that?
Under 5, United States Code 3111, the term "student" is defined as an individual who is enrolled, not less than half-time, in a high school, trade school, technical or vocational institution. An individual who is a student is deemed not to have ceased being a student during an interim between school years of no more than five months.

So, if you graduate before doing the internship, you would be eligible to do the internship during the school interim if you will be enrolled in another academic program within five months of having graduated. (You will be required to provide supporting documentation that you have been accepted into another program.)

4. Can I get some type of stipend or remuneration?
The internship is non-paid. Interns do not get stipends or remuneration of any kind.

Links to web sites outside the U.S. Government or the use of trade, firm, or corporation names within U.S. Commercial Service web sites are for the convenience of the user. Such links and use do not constitute an express or implied official endorsement or approval by the United States Department of Commerce of any private sector web site, or of the products or services of specifically identified companies or of any of the private entities that may have contributed to a U.S. Commercial Service web site.