Defense Trade Export Controls and Licenses


By law, all U.S. manufacturers, exporters, and brokers of commodities covered by the U.S. Munitions List must register with the Department of State.

Defense Trade Controls - Applying for a License

Generally, any person or company who intends to export a defense article must obtain the approval of DDTC prior to the export. You can submit and apply via the website.

Defense Trade Information Center

The Defense Trade Information Center provides the Electronic Licensing System, that is a free service provided to U.S. persons who seek to export defense articles or defense services regulated by the ITAR.


To ensure compliance with U.S. export law and regulations, the DDTC strongly advises that registered exporters and manufacturers have in place programs that assist in monitoring defense trade activities. These programs should include a manual that articulates the company's policy on and commitment to compliance with defense trade laws and regulations, and that outlines the procedures for dealing with licensing and compliance matters. Such a manual should also include the identification and duties of empowered and responsible persons, and procedures on record keeping and internal auditing.

Response Team

The DDTC Response Team provides responses to the full range of defense trade inquiries, and can significantly facilitate your defense trade solutions while affording licensing and other officers in DDTC more time for casework. By handling telephone calls from industry and the public, it supports the work of licensing and compliance officers by allowing them to focus on their core activities.

The DDTC also provides assistance to help companies comply with U.S. export law and regulations. Contact The DDTC