Address: 490 Sussex Drive
Ottawa,Ontario, K1N 1G8
Canadian Mailing Address:
PO Box 866, Station B,
Ottawa, ON K1P 5T1
Phone: (613) 688-5217
Fax: (613) 238-5999
Richard Steffens, Minister-Counselor for Commercial Affairs
Phone: (613) 688-5117
- Mr. Steffens is a graduate of the Wharton School and holds a Masters in Government Administration from the University of Pennsylvania.
As Minister-Counselor for Commercial Affairs at the U.S. Embassy Ottawa, Richard Steffens is responsible for implementing the President’s National Export Initiative in Canada, America’s largest trading partner.
From 2006 to 2010, the years following Ukraine’s Orange Revolution, Mr. Steffens served as Commercial Counselor at U.S. Embassy Kyiv. In August 2008, Mr. Steffens served in Tbilisi, where he organized the first U.S. trade mission to encourage U.S participation in Georgian reconstruction. From 2001 to 2005, during the Czech Republic’s accession to the European Union, he served as Senior Commercial Officer at the U.S. Embassy in Prague. In January 2004, as part of the Iraq Reconstruction Initiative, Mr. Steffens organized and accompanied the first trade mission to Baghdad since the fall of Saddam Hussein.
From 1997 to 2000, during the first stages of the $40 billion Sakhalin oil development Mr. Steffens was U.S. Consul for Commercial Affairs for the Russia Far East and eastern Siberia. From 1993 to 1997, Mr. Steffens served as Commercial Attaché in at U.S. Embassy Moscow, where he helped establish the American Chamber of Commerce of Russia, and opened up more than 20 formerly closed cities to U.S. trade. From 1991 to 1993, Mr. Steffens worked in the Office of Program Planning and Evaluation in the office of the U.S. Secretary of Commerce. From 1988 to 1990, Mr. Steffens served as Assistant Director for Venture Development with the New Jersey Commission for Science and Technology. From 1986 to 1988, he was Assistant Director of Research at the Fels Center of Government at the University of Pennsylvania. He began his career as a management consultant with Andersen Consulting in New York.
Enrique (Rick) Ortiz, Commercial Counselor
Deputy Senior Commercial Officer
Phone: (613) 688-5222
- Rick completed his Bachelor of Arts in International Relations Management from Claremont McKenna College in 1983. After five years in international sales and marketing throughout Latin American, the Middle East and Africa representing a number of U.S. educational publishing companies, he obtained his Master of Arts in Law and Diplomacy from the Fletcher School of International Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University in1990.
Rick Ortiz is the Deputy Senior Commercial Officer (DSCO) at the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa and is responsible for directing and managing the U.S. Department of Commerce's trade development programs and business facilitation services throughout Canada. Prior to arriving in Canada, Rick was the Commercial Counselor, Deputy Senior Commercial Officer in Mexico City.
In 1998 Rick was commissioned by President Bill Clinton into the Foreign Service of the United States of America. Rick served as Commercial Attaché at the U.S. Embassy in Bogotá, Colombia, 1998 – 2000, as Senior Commercial Officer to Amman, Jordan, 2001-03, and from 2005-2009 was the Regional Senior Commercial Officer in Casablanca, Morocco responsible for Morocco, Algeria and a partner post in Tunisia.
From May 2003 until January 2004, Rick served under Ambassador Bremmer and the Coalition Provisional Authority as Senior Advisor to the Iraqi Ministry of Industry and Minerals in Baghdad, Iraq, and in summer 2004 he returned to Baghdad and re-opened the Commercial Service operation in Baghdad under Ambassador Negroponte.
Lucy Latka, Senior Commercial Specialist
Phone: (613) 688-5219
- Lucy Latka is the Senior Commercial Specialist at the U.S. Embassy
in Ottawa. Her portfolio includes, selling products and services in any sector to the Canadian Government, particularly in the Defense and Safety/Security sectors. Lucy has been with the U.S. Commercial Service in Canada since 1993. Prior to joining the U.S. Commercial Service, Lucy worked in the private sector for over 20 years.
Tracey Ford, Commercial Specialist
Phone: (613) 688-5406
- Tracey Ford joined the U.S. Commercial Service in March 2007 after
serving the U.S. Department of State for five years as a procurement agent.
An Economics graduate of Carleton University in Ottawa, her background
in the private sector with Newbridge Networks Corp and Nortel Networks has provided her with the skills and experience necessary to work in her capacity as National Coordinator for the IT Products & Services and Telecommunications sector with the U.S. Commercial Service. Other areas of responsibility include: Computer Products/Services; Electronic Commerce; and Sporting Goods & Recreational Equipment.
Luz E. Betancur, Commercial Specialist
Phone: (613) 688-5411
- Luz Betancur began her career with the U.S. Commercial Service in 2004, and currently acts as Commercial Specialist counseling U.S. firms that operate in the Military Aerospace and Marine portfolios. Luz formulates strategies and implements trade promotion activities in the defense, marine, and aerospace sectors, targeted to assist U.S. firms successfully export to Canada. Additional areas of expertise include trade counseling, commercial & defense advocacy, and business matchmaking. Luz has previous experience in corporate and financial auditing with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. Previous to it, Luz gained knowledge and expertise in the areas of logistics and distribution, and retail chain management while working for the food and leather manufacturing sectors in Colombia, South America. Luz holds a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration and a Post-Graduate degree in Management of Commercial Enterprises from Universidad del Norte in Barranquilla, Colombia. Luz was awarded the United States Department of Commerce’s Bronze Medal Award for Superior Federal Service in 2007, and was also awarded the U.S. Ambassador to Canada’s Award for Commercial Service Excellence in 2005 and 2009. Luz is fluent in Spanish, and has a working knowledge of French.
Louise Doré, Commercial Program Assistant
Phone: (613) 688-5220
- Louise Doré has been with the U.S. Commercial Service since 2002.
In her capacity as Commercial Program Assistant, Louise assists Commercial
Specialists in delivering the core products and services as well as developing trade events and promotional activities to market U.S. products in Canada. Louise is fluent in French and English.
Our Global Network at Work