Local Time in Brussels, Belgium: Print

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Where can my European company go to find information on establishing a business in the United States? Is there any way to locate regional representation in various states?

An excellent source for business information is the Council of American States in Europe (CASE). CASE provides information on individual states' representation in Europe and gives contact information. Additionally, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce has general information about establishing a business in the United States, and also provides a list of local chambers of commerce for more specialized information.

2. I am a Belgian firm and would like to export to the U.S., how do I start this process?

Depending on where your company is based in Belgium, you have to contact either:

Brussels Export
Avenue Louise 500/4 Louizalaan
BE-1050 Brussels
Tel: 02/800.40.00
Fax: 02/800.40.01 or 02
e-mail: infos@brussels-export.irisnet.be

Vlaams Agentschap voor Internationaal Ondernemen (Flanders Investment & Trade)
Gaucheretstraat 90
BE-1030 Brussels
Tel: 02/504.88.71
Fax: 02/504.88.70
e-mail: See website

Agence Wallonne à l'Exportation (AWEX)
Place Sainctelette 2
B-1080 Brussels
Tel: 02/421.82.11
Fax: 02/421.87.87
e-mail: mail@awex.wallonie.be

3. Where could I find a list of American companies based in Belgium?

The American Chamber of Commerce provides a complete list of American companies based in Belgium for their members.

4. Where could I go to find United States sanction information?

The Office of Foreign Assets Control, a branch of the U.S. Treasury department, provides information about U.S. sanctions on their website.

5. How do I find information on patents and trademarks for U.S. products?

The United States Trademark and Patent Office provides a wide range of information on patents and trademarks, including how to apply for a Trademark or Patent, what a Patent or Trademark does, international guarantees on patents and trademarks, and much more.

6. Where can I find information on United States agricultural products, manufacturers, and suppliers?

The American Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS), a branch of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, provides foreign agricultural support. The FAS based at the U.S. Embassy to the Netherlands in The Hague is responsible for agricultural service in Belgium.

7. Is there a listing anywhere that gives addresses for U.S. Embassies and Consulates worldwide?

The U.S. State Department provides a worldwide list of Embassies and Consulates based upon regions.

8. I am a Belgian visiting the United States but I have no idea where the Belgian Embassy and Consulates are. Is there anyway to find this information?

The Diplobel website offers Belgian tourists an immense amount of information on a variety of nations. Included on this website is a list of Belgian Embassies and Consulates in the United States and worldwide. Additionally, the website for the Belgian Embassy to the U.S. itself may be of use.

9. I plan to visit the United States in upcoming months; do I need a visa? If so, what type of visa of I need?

The type of visa that a person requires varies depending on their individual situation. Many persons do not need a visa to enter the United States. To find out more, please visit the U.S. Embassy to Belgium’s website.

10. Where can I locate American addresses?

Contact information and addresses for Federal government agencies can be found at the U.S. Blue Pages and the Federal Consumer Information Center. Additionally, the International Yellow and White Pages website contains information on locating the phone number and address of any private citizen or business worldwide.

11. Where can I find statistical, economic, legal, geographic information about the United States?

The CIA World Factbook is a good source for general information about the United States, as well as many other countries.

12. I am looking for a job or internship in the United States. Where could I find information to aid in my search?

The World Education Program provides extensive information on academic programs, internships, and work opportunities in the U.S, including jobs, au pairs, farmstays, and a multitude of other arrangements.

13. I am planning to travel to the U.S. Where can I find tourist information and maps?

For tourist information, maps, and a variety of other information, please contact the Visit USA Marketing and Promotion Bureau at:

Visit USA Marketing and Promotion Bureau
P.O. Box 1
Berchem 3
B-2600 Berchem
Fax: 03/230.09.14
E-mail: info@visitusa.org

Please see also security procedures: Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).